Sadly, Twmbarlwm has fallen into disrepair and has been neglected for too long.
- Litter is strewn over the landscape
- It has become a dumping ground for household rubbish
- Motorbikes, quads and 4×4 vehicles roam the hillside, creating danger for walkers
- These vehicles have left huge ugly scars, ruining the countryside
- These scars have been eroded by the elements, making access difficult
- People have become reluctant to visit Twmbarlwm because of all this.
Take a look at the Google aerial view of Twmbarlwm or drive up to the common below Twmbarlwm from the Risca side – you would swear it was an official playground for off-roaders.
Cymdeithas Twmbarlwm Society believe that this view has got to change.
Formation of CTS
The continued abuse of the landscape reached breaking point in 2010 when a group of like minded people decided enough was enough.
So Cymdeithas Twmbarlwm Society was formed with the aim to change public opinion and to persuade and work with the “powers-that-be” to improve our precious environment.
Our Aims Are Simple
- To protect and preserve the ancient monument of Twmbarlwm and the significant historical remains on Mynydd Medart, Mynydd Henllys and Mynydd Maen.
- To restore Twmbarlwm to a site of natural beauty and manage it to maintain the area for future generations
- To research into the historical significance of the site
- To promote the sensitive use of the site to the residents of South East Wales and beyond