“TIDY TWMP” Volunteer Work Day
In the last Just a Quick Note, we gave notification of an opportunity for members and friends of the Society to get involved in a Work Day as part of the “Tidy Twmp” project.
So, assuming that you’ve already got 25/26th January pencilled in your diaries, following are the details – note, we will decide on the 25th whether the work will continue on the 26th.
We want volunteers to help with two main tasks and depending on how many show up we intend to split into groups as follows:
1. “LITTER PICK”
One group of volunteers will walk the common and surrounding area collecting all litter and rubbish – this will then be collected by the council after the weekend
2. “ALAMO FENCE INFILL”
Hopefully you’ve seen the double fences we have been constructing (we call them the “Alamo”) and the next phase is to start infilling these fences with logs and brushwood. We want some able-bodied volunteers to help carry logs out of the forestry and from the ridgeway (these will be cut for us in the week leading up to the 25th).
- The event will take place between 10.30am and 4.00pm on 25th January 2014.
- We will all meet up at the new car park, which is accessed via Mountain Road (from Rogerstone or Pontymason Lane, Risca), on the southern side of Twmbarlwm at 10.30am.
- If you intend travelling by car please consider “car-sharing” in order to minimise the amount of traffic on the mountain.
- Whilst it’s stating the obvious we should remind you to wear sensible footwear and clothing, and to bring some food and drink.
- We will provide gloves and a high vis vests (bring your own if you prefer). We will have a supply of “litter-picks” and refuse bags available, but gloves should be worn.
- We hope to have our “Field Kitchen” operating to provide workers with a hot drink and hot-dogs.
Please do your best to get involved on the day, even if you are only able to be there for an hour or so, this is a great opportunity to do something positive up on Twmbarlwm, and also a great chance to meet up with other CTS members and friends of CTS who follow us on Facebook.
If you are unable to join us during the actual event, please feel free to visit at any other time over that weekend and do your bit… and be sure to let us know if you do!
To assist us in managing the event it would be useful for us to have a clear indication of the numbers that are likely to attend. Therefore, if you are attending we would be grateful if you could let us know via the below e-mail address as soon as you are able.
FUTURE “TIDY TWMP” EVENTS
Over the next few months we will be doing much more infilling of the fences – especially including the planting of native hedging plants
So fingers crossed for some good weather and here’s to a good event on 25th January. We look forward to seeing you there!